Black Owned London Restaurants
The Black Lives Matter movement is on a lot of people’s mind. And so it should be. One way of supporting the movement is spending money at Black Owned London Restaurants by trying their delicious food. The list below highlights just some of these restaurants. You can search The Black Book for a more comprehensive list of UK Black Owned Businesses (including restaurants).
Some of these Black Owned London Restaurants are offering takeaway / delivery during lockdown and others are waiting to re-open.
- Chuku’s Nigerian Restaurant is run by sibling duo Emeka and Ifeyinwa, Chuku’s is all about Nigerian Tapas and #chopchatchill. The menu offers veggie / vegan options as well as meat and fish including Sinasir & Miyan Taushe (rice pancakes served with pumpkin & peanut dipping sauce) and Stewed Barbecued Gizzard (juicy chicken gizzard summered in house-made barbecue sauce). I visited their previous residency in Brick Lane and loved the food. Their new restaurant in Tottenham is set to open soon.
- 1251 Restaurant on Upper Street, Islington is run by Chef James Cochran who draws on his mixed heritage from the Caribbean, Scotland and his birth town Whitstable through his food. The creative menu at 1251 changes daily and is based on the concept of sharing plates. You can pre order through their website for delivery and the restaurant will hopefully be back open soon. The full review of my previous visit is here.
- One Love Kitchen has been run by Steven since 2015 bringing spice, smoke, flavour and love to a number of markets in London (Fenchurch, Maltby and Brockley) and now a permanent residency in Finsbury Park. The menu includes Jerk Chicken, Smokey BBQ Pork and Curried Goat and Fish. All dishes are served with a choice of rice and peas, wraps or salad.
- Drums and Flats – I visited Drums and Flats at their residency in Peckham Levels and was impressed with their tasty Garlic & Parmesan wings. Their selection also includes classic Buffalo Sauce and Jerk with Mango Salsa. At present, they are offering delivery of their wings in South East London.
- 805 Restaurants – In 2001 Mr. and Mrs James opened their first Nigerian Restaurant on 805 Old Kent Road serving West African dishes including Jollof and Egusi, Ewedu, Ogbono or Okro & Stew. They are currently offering express order and pick up service as well as delivery on Uber Eats and Deliveroo.
- Ikoyi – a Michelin starred restaurant in Piccadilly Circus co-founded by Iré Hassan-Odukale offering West African inspired dishes. Whilst the restaurant is currently closed, the Ikoyi E-Shop is live.
- Tracks and Records – launched by Usain Bolt and based near Liverpool Street, serves Jamaican small and large plates with dishes including Coconut & Cassava Prawns and Curried Goat. The restaurant also has a late lounge and live music during the week.
- Trap Kitchen based in Balham was started in 2016 by Prince Cofie Owusu, known as Shakka from his mum’s apartment. He grew his following on Instagram to more than 100,000 followers online with his mouthwatering photos and videos. Currently offering takeaway featuring lobster tails, snow crab cluster, mac n cheese and bang bang prawns.
- Red Rooster was founded by New York chef and entrepreneur Marcus Samuelsson who brought his Harlem restaurant to Shoreditch. The menu combines American soul food with European influences with dishes such as Shrimp N Grits, Jerk Rotisserie Chicken and Seabass. Hopefully after lockdown Red Rooster will return with their Gospel brunch!
- Only Jerkin‘s food is built from traditional family recipes. All their chicken is marinaded for 48 hours and triple dipped in seasoned flour and signature batters – ginger beer or cream soda. They say, once fried expect some serious flavour and crunch! Only Jerkin’ also have a selection of homemade sauces including jerk gravy and sides including jerk seasoned skin on fries and creamy slaw! Delivery is available from Bethnal Green and Kennington.
- All Nations Vegan House has been preparing healthy Vegan dishes with a Caribbean twist for over 10 years. They use Caribbean staples, herbs and spices with a frequently changing menu. They are currently available for delivery on Deliveroo in and around Dalston.
- Fish, Wings, And Tings – this Brixton spot offers Jerk chicken, curried goat, cod fish fritters and more for takeaway or deliveroo.
- Renee’s Kitchen specialises in plant based Caribbean dishes inspired by traditional flavours from Jamaica. Their sweet and fiery vegan chicken at Walthamstow Sunday Market was fantastic. Currently available for delivery on Deliveroo in and around Lewisham.
- Caribe – Usually at Pop Brixton offering Caribbean food, they are now delivering ‘Carnival Lunchboxes’ including curry goat roti and macaroni pie.
- Tastopia – Offering vegan desserts with their Marbled Ring Doughnuts being a favourite with flavours including Berry Macaron and Mocha. I’ve tried them at Walthamstow Sunday Market and wouldn’t know they were vegan. Tastopia are currently delivering their treats around London.
- Jerk Off BBQ started in a family kitchen in South East London and pre lockdown was operating pop ups and serving food at London market. Their passion for cooking started at home and the recipes draw from Bajan and Jamaican roots. They are offering delivery in South East London on Saturdays with staple dishes including Jerk Off BBQ curry chicken as well as various DIY kits.
- Survivors Food offer Caribbean food from Dalston and Camden with dishes including curry goat, oxtail and brown stew chicken.
- Caribbean Kitchen – are available for takeaway and delivery in and around Cambridge Heath serving classics like jerk chicken and curry goat.
- Eko Wine Bar and Restaurant – This Nigerian restaurant situated in Homerton is available for takeaway and delivery offering stews, tilapia and fresh fish.
- Rock Steady Rum Lounge in Gipsy Hill offers Caribbean takeaway through Just Eat and Deliveroo including chicken stew, saltfish and jerk salmon fillet.
- Saint Aymes – Co-founders Michela and Lois Wilson are behing this luxury chocolatier and lifestyle brand. They have two floral cafes in Hyde Park and House of Fraser serving drinks and patisseries. They are currently open for takeaway and collection from Hyde Park.
- Dark Sugars offer one of the best hot chocolates in London. You can’t help but be drawn to their shop in Brick Lane where Dark Sugars bring the culture of West African cocoa production to East London. They make handmade truffles, pearls and vegan treats with takeaway available. You can also buy a DIY hot chocolate kit online!
- Rhythm Kitchen are usually found in Westfield Stratford offering traditional, wholesome Caribbean food. They are currently open for delivery and collection from E17.
- Big Town Restaurants bring delicious Nigerian and West African cuisine prepared freshly in their open kitchen to Walworth, near Elephant & Castle. Their menu includes stewed fried beef, suya and grilled tiger prawn
East London Girl: Black Owned London Restaurants
Click Here for other restaurants in London